1. With more forests being destroyed, huge quantities of good earth ___________ each year.
A. is washing away B. is being washed away
C. are washing away D. are being washed away
2. What shall we use for power when all the oil in the world has ____________.
A. given out B. put out C. held up D. used up
3. Maggie has been fortunate to find a job she loves and, __________, she gets well paid for it.
A. sooner or later B. what's more C. as a result D. more or less
4. -Amazing! You ____________ wear slippers at work.
--Don't you know it's a fashion?
A. ought to B. dare C. should D. mustn't
5. I prefer a street in a small town to ___________ in a big city _____________shanghai.
A. that; so B. one; as C. it; like D. one; like
6. Most of us senior students are able to ____________ a conversation with people from English-speaking countries.
A. go on B. keep on C. carry on D. hold on
7. -Got you drawing license?
--No, I ____________ too busy to have enough practice, so I didn't take the driving test last week.
A. was B. am C. have been D. had been
8. -Hi, Tom, You look tired.
--Yes, I _____________ the room all the afternoon.
A. painted B. had painted C. have painted D. have been painting
9. -You have been to Africa? Could you tell me your experience there?
--____________I'll do during the next break.
A. It just depends B. By all means C. No way D. Go ahead
10. One of the sides of the board should be painted yellow and _____________.
A. the other is white B. another white
C. the other white D. another white
11. Dinosaurs have been extinct from the earth, never ____________ again.
A. seen B. being seen C. to be seen D. having been seen
12. -Would you mind opening the window?
A. Never mind B. Yes, please C. No, go ahead D. Certainly not
13. The classroom is big enough __________, but we'll have to move if we have more students.
A. for the moment B. on the moment C. in a moment D. for a moment
14. Jack had traveled six miles across the channel ___________ his engine failed and was forced to land on the sea.
A. until B. after C. since D. when
15. Xiamen is _____________ most beautiful city and we've decided to stay _________ fifth day.
A. a; a B. a; the C. the; a D. the; the
16. It was nine years ago, when I came to China for the first time, __________ I began to learn Chinese.
A. where B. how C. which D. that
17. I think _____________ dictionary is enough for us students.
A. such one B. so a C. one such D. a so
18. -What can I do for you?
--__________ you see Mr Black, give him my regards.
A. Would B. Shall C. Should D. Had
19. -If the traffic hadn't been so heavy, I would have been back by 6 o'clock.
--What a pity! Tina ____________ here to see you.
A. is B. was C. had been D. would be
20. ____________some teenagers don't realize is _____________ difficult life can be after they get addicted to drugs.
A. What; how B. That; how C. What; what a D. That; what