1. It isn"t so much whether he works hard; the question is whether he works _____.
A. above all B. in all C. at all D. after all
[答案]C. at all.
If you do it at all, do it well.(你若真做，就得做好。)
not at all" word="not at all" target="_blank">not...at all全不，毫不：
He doesn"t seem at all interested in my plane.(他仿佛对我的方案毫无兴味。)
above all(=most important of all)最重要的。
We were fifteen in all.(咱们总计15人。)
2. Mary had taken _____ to see that her guests had everything that they could possibly want.
A. efforts B. pains C. attempts D. endeavors
[正文]take pains to do sth.下苦功夫做某事：
I"m grateful because you have taken pains to show me how to do the work.
3. He ate what he could, and gave the _____ of the food to the birds.
A. remain B. uneaten C. rest D. part
[正文]the rest (of)残余局部，其他。remain作“残余物”(=what is left)解时罕用单数方式，如：the remains of a meal(残羹剩饭)。[ALI]《新英汉辞典》以为也能够用复数，可作参考。
4. The government placed _____ on the numbers of foreign cars that could be imported.
A. limitations B. restraint
C. requirements D. restrictions
It is a club with rigid restrictions on its membership.
1)I know my limitations.(我理解我的有余之处。)
2)Every from of art has its limitations.（每种艺术方式都有其局限性。）
5. We won"t know whether it will be successful. We won"t know whether there will be good _____.
A. ends B. results C. effects D. causes
obtain(=get, attain, gain win, secure)good results（获得好后果），publish the results（发布问题）。
6. No one imagined that the apparently _____ businessman was really a criminal.
A. respectful B. respectable C. respective D. respected
7. At first the institute refused to purchase the telescope, but this decision was _____ revised.
A. occasionally B. consequently
C. successively D. subsequently.
8. The speaker _____ several other subjects in the course of his talk but mostly kept himself to the main topic.
A. held on B. worked out C. touched on D. kept out of
[答案]C. touched on
9. Comrade Li Dazhao, _____ librarian of Beijing University, was one of the founders of the Chinese Communist Party.
A. sometimes B. sometime C. some time D. some times
Alice Brown, a sometime pupil of our school, is now a teacher there.
10. Alice was very sorry to hear that her grandmother had _____ two days before.
A. broken off B. passed off
C. given away D. passed away
[答案]D. passed away.
break off中缀；give away给掉；泄露；pass off停止，中缀。