1. The party, which had been greatly _____, was spoiled by the rude behavior of an uninvited guest.
A. looked forward to B. looked up to
C. called forth D. called for
[答案]A. looked forward to.
[正文]Look forward to 等待，渴望； call forth惹起，唤起。 Call for需求，Look up to尊崇。
2. It was clear that the small grocer was _____ people he owed money to.
A. at the expense of B. at the risk of
C. in the way of D. at the mercy of
[答案]D. at the mercy of.
[正文]at the mercy of在......摆布下：
The ship was at the mercy of the waves.(这艘船听凭风浪支配。)
at the expense of 以 .....为代价，靠就义 .....；
in the way of碍......事；
at the risk of冒.....的风险：
1)He devoted his time to football at the expense of his studies.(他就义学习把工夫都花在足球上。)
2)Her social lift got in the way of her studies.(她的社交生存妨碍了她的学习。)
3)We do this at the risk of our lives and liberties.(咱们冒丢掉生命和丧失自在的风险做这件事。)
3. I _____ her not to walk on the thin ice but she would not listen to me.
A. warned B. persuaded C. suggested D. noticed
[正文]warn sb. (not) to do sth.正告某人（不）做某事。
suggest不能接sb. to do sth.
persuade sb.(not) to do sth.压服、某人（不）做某事；本题中不能选D. persuaded, 因该动词强调行为的后果。
从逻辑上讲，既然“压服了”，那么与she wouldn"t listen to me就前后矛盾了。
假如把句子改为：I tried to persuade her not to walk on the thin ice but she wouldn"t listen to me.(我竭力劝她不要在薄冰上走，但她不愿听我的话。)，那么就合乎逻辑了。
[留意]warn sb. of sth.正告某人有......
4. When products made in factories _____, they are thrown away as garbage.
A. come to an end B. are put to use
C. are used up D. wear out
[答案]D. wear out.
[正文]wear out本题中意指（become useless form continued use of wear）用坏，穿破，如：
The machine will soon wear out.(这机器行将用坏。)
come to an end(完结)，put ... to use(投入应用), use up(用完)， come into use(开端投入应用)
5. She is making herself ill with _____ over her son"s future.
A. trouble B. annoyance C. disgust D. worry
worry over 比worry about对某事的忧虑更为耐久，更为专一，如：
He worries over the least thing that goes wrong.(他总是生怕有一点大事出错。)
6. The microphone enabled them to keep in touch, in other words, it made it _____ for them to contact each other.
A. likely B. capable C. possible D. probable
He is capable of anything.(他什么事都干得进去。)此句含有显著得褒义。
The car is capable of being repaired .（这辆汽车是有可能修好的。）用于此义时，
be capable of 后常接被动语态动名词或有举措意义的名词：The situation is capable of improvement .
1)It is likely that...例如：It is highly likely that he will succeed.（很可能他会胜利。）
2)think(feel, consider)it likely ...例如：I think it likely that we will ultimately get a certain amount of money.
3)be likely to do sth.例如：He is likely to see you again .
但上面的句型是谬误的，It is likely for sb to do sth.
所以think it likely for sb. to do sth.也是谬误的，故本题不能选likely.
7. They did not find _____ to prepare for the worst conditions they might meet.
A. worth their while B. it worthwhile
C. it worth D. it worthy
[答案]B. it worthwhile
1)The visit to Paris was worthwhile .
2)He thinks teaching foreign languages is worthwhile.
3)She has a very worthwhile job.
4)I think it worthwhile to work on my stamp collection.
1)He is worthy of being praised.(=He is worthy to be praised.)
2)He is a worthy winner.
3)She is not worthy to talk to man like you.（她配不上与你这样一位男士说话）
8. In spite of the thunderstorm, the children slept _____ all night.
A. densely B. soundly C. loudly D. noisily
[正文]sleep soundly酣睡。也能够说sleep heavily.
9. John _____ knowledge of radio just by staying around the radio station.
A. caught on B. worked up C. took up D. picked up
[答案]D. picked up
10. I support your decision, but I should also make it clear that I am not going to be _____ to it.
A. connected B. fastened C. bound D. stuck
[正文]be bound to sth.受...的束缚：
I was bound to my promise.(我受我的诺言束缚)
[留意]be bound to do sth.
1)肯定会：The plan is bound to win.（这项方案肯定会胜利。）
2)有责任（任务）：You are bound to obey the laws.(你有责任恪守法纪)。