1. Although he hasn"t any formal qualifications, Betas _____ to do well for himself.
A. managed B. succeeded C. arranged D. convinced
[正文]manage to do sth.(=succeed in doing sth.)设法做成某事：
1)He managed to escape to South America.(他设法逃到了南美。)
2)We managed to get what we wanted, anyhow.(咱们反正设法失去了需求的货色。)
3)Do you suppose you can manage to get me a passport?(你能设法给我弄到一份护照吗？)
本题译文：尽管他没有正式的资格，但他支出很多。Do well for oneself吃香，支出多，改善本人的社会位置。
2. The family is a cooperative enterprise for which it is difficult to _____ rules, because each family needs to work out its own ways to deal with its own problems.
A. set up B. put down C. keep up D. lay down
[答案]D. lay down.
3. After a short holiday, he _____ himself once more to his studies.
A. applied B. converted C. engaged D. exerted
[正文]apply oneself to“努力于”
apply one"s mind to(分心于)
apply to sb. for aid(向某人求援)
apply a theory to practice(把实践使用于理论)
4. She felt _____ of having asked such a silly question when the audience couldn"t help laughing.
A. guilty B. crazy C. miserable D. ashamed
[正文] be ashamed of因......感到耻辱，羞愧：
1)He is ashamed of what he was done.
2)She felt ashamed of having done so little.(=She felt ashamed that she had done so little.)
3)John was ashamed to ask for help.(他不好意思向人求助。)
4)Jim was ashamed to have troubled me with so many questions.
Be guilty of犯有......罪，过失：
1)He was found guilty.
2)I am not guilty of this crime.
5. The driver can adjust the heating in winter and the air conditioning in summer to suit his own _____.
A. leisure B. preference C. convenience D. selection
My preference is for beef rather than for lamb.(我更喜爱牛肉面不是羊肉。)
6. There is not much time left; So I"ll tell you about it _____.
A. in detail B. in brief C. in short D. in all
[答案]B. in brief.
[正文]in brief(=in a few words)冗长地（作状语）,例如：
He told me in brief what had happened.（他冗长地向我讲了已发作地事件。）
此处，in brief(=in a word, in short)简言之（作拔出语）
1)It is a long letter, but in brief, he says "No".(这是一封长信，但简言之，他说“不”。)
2)John is smart, polite, and well-behaved. In brief, he is admirable.
此句中in brief意为in a word 或in short. in short作拔出语，其意思是in a word(总之)。
In all总计，总共：There are 20 in all.
7. She got married although her parents had not given her their _____.
A. allowance B. consent C. permit D. appreciation
[正文]consent n. 赞同，赞成；
consent (to) vi.赞同，如：consent to a plan(赞同一项方案)。
8. The rain was heavy and _____ the land was flooded.
A. consequently B. constantly
C. continuously D. consistently
[正文]consequently (as a result)因此，所以。
9. Magnificent views over the countryside have often _____ people to write poems.
A. convinced B. inspired C. induced D. attracted
1)His speech inspired us to try again.
2)He inspired confidence in me.(他使我产生决心。)
3)The good news inspired us with hope.(这个好音讯使咱们产生心愿。)
10. From the cheers and shouts of _____, I gathered that he was winning the race.
A. stimulus B. urgency C. encouragement D. promotion
[正文]encouragement激励，支持：shouts of encouragement(激励的喝彩声)。