1. He stopped his ears with his hands to _____ the terrible noise.
A. show off B. cut out C. keep from D. shut out
[答案] D. shut out.
[正文]shut out扫除。show off夸耀; cut out删掉; keep from;
1) 瞒哄; She kept the truth from me. (她向我瞒哄假相。)
2) 不沾, 避开; He keeps from alcohol. (他滴酒不沾。)
3) 使不做某事：She kept herself from laughing. (她没有笑进去。)
2. My house is the only brick one on the street. It _____ and you can"t miss it.
A. stands up B. looks out C. sticks out D. wipes out
[答案] C. stick out.
[正文]stick out (=protrude, project) 伸出, 突出; 露出, 显眼：
1) The doctor asked him to stick his tongue out.
2) Spelling mistakes stick out in this composition. (这篇作文中拼写谬误很显眼。)
stick out (=endure to the end) 坚持到底;
If you can stick out a bit longer ,everything will be all right. (如果你能在坚持一下, 所有都会好起来。)
wipe out 擦去, 毁灭
3. After the show, the crowd _____ out of the theater.
A. poured B. melted C. drew D. dismissed
[答案] A. poured.
[正文]pour 此处意为：涌出, 涌来, 如：People poured out to the rally. (人们积极参与群众大会。)
4. Although it is not our normal _____ to give credit, this time I think we should consider the matter more closely.
A. state B. intention C. occasion D. practice
[答案] D. practice.
[正文]practice (=way of doing sth. That is common or habitual; sth. done regularly) 做法, 常规 ：
It is my practice always to rise early. To give credit 让赊欠：No credit is given at this shop. (这家商店概不赊欠。)
5. It gave me a strange feeling of excitement to see my name in _____.
A. news B. print C. publication D. press
[答案] B. print.
[正文]in print是习语, 意指“印进去, 宣布进去”, 如：
She finally saw her novel in print. (她终于看到他的小说出版了。)
in print 的另一个意思是“在印行, 还在发行”, 如：
This book is still in print. (这本书还在发行, 能够买到)
反义词是out of print , 意指“不在印行, 买不到了。”如：
The book you speak of is out of print. (你说到的那本书已不在发行了。)
6. The engineers have rejected the employers" proposals to end the strike and the other workers have come out in _____.
A. opposition B. return C. sympathy D. readiness
[答案] C. sympathy.
[正文] in sympathy 以示同情, come out 此处意为 (=declare oneself) 标明态度, 所以come out in sympathy 意为“示意同情”。
In return 作为回报, 如：I wanted nothing in return . (我不要什么回报。)
collaboration合作, 如：work in collaboration with sb. (与某人协力协作) 。
Opposition 拥护, 如：rise in opposition to (起来拥护) 。
readiness 预备 (形态); 待机, 如：having everything in readiness for departure (做好所有预备, 以便登程)。
7. Her work is often very hard and she gets very tired. The work is _____.
A.wonderful B.splendid C.tedious D.magnificent
[答案] C. tedious .
[正文] tedious (=tiresome ;wearying; uninteresting) "爽朗的, 腻烦的, 乏味的”。Splendid 壮丽的, 辉煌的, 极好的。magnificent 壮丽的, 雄伟的：It was a magnificent ceremony. (这是一次隆重盛大的典礼)。
8. With prices _____ so much, it"s hard for the company to plan a budget.
A.fluctuating B.waving C.swinging D.vibrating
[答案] A. fluctuating
Fluctuate (=move up and down) (指物价, 规范等的) 动摇。如：Prices fluctuate from year to year. (物价年年动摇)
wave飘扬, 挥动; 招手; (庄稼的) 动摇。
Swing摆动, 摇晃; vibrate振动。可见, 依据题意, 只能选A. fluctuating.
9. Some teenagers have a generalized resentment against society, which _____ them the rights and privileges of adults, although physically they are mature.
A. deprives B. restricts C. rejects D. denies
[答案] D. denies.
[正文]deny (=refuse to give or allow) 回绝给予:He denied his children nothing . (孩子们要什么他就给什么。)
deprive (=take away from) .剥夺。deprive sb. of sth.剥夺某人某物：They deprived women of the right to vote. (他们剥夺了妇女的投票权。)
restrict (=keep within limits) The doctor restricted him to 5 cigarettes a day. (医生限度他一天抽5支烟。)
reject (refuse to accept ) 回绝承受, 如：She rejected my suggestion.
本题译文：一些十几岁的孩子们往往对社会有普遍的逆反心思, 尽管他们发育成熟, 但社会回绝给予他们同成年人一样的权益和优惠。
10. Though _____ in San Francisco, Dave Mitchell had always preferred to record the plain facts of small-town life.
A. raised B. grown C. developed D. cultivated
[答案] A. raised
[正文]本句中Though raised in San Franciscos是省略的退让状语从句。Raise (=bring up) 抚养：grow种植; cultivate耕作; 造就 (友情等) 。
如cultivate后接某人, 则意为“造就与某人的感情”。如：John always tries to cultivate the people, who are useful to him professionally. (约翰一贯喜爱与事业上对他有用的人交往。)