1. Probability is the mathematical study of the _____ of an event"s occurrence.
A. desire B. likelihood C. result D. effect
[答案] B. likelihood
2. Driving a car without insurance can have _____ consequences.
A. uncertain B. disastrous C. potential D. unworthy
[答案] B. disastrous.
[正文] disastrous 劫难性的。
3. The police refused to _____ the clues they were working on.
A. exhibit B. disclose C. expose D. discern
[答案] B. disclose.
[正文]disclose (=uncover; allow to be seen; make known) 走漏, 使露出：
1) The lawyer disclosed the details of the case.
2) He disclosed that he had made arrangements to buy a new car.
exhibit 展览, 展出, 显示, expose 暴露,discern 认出, 发现, 分别,辨认。
4. What you have done is _____ the doctor"s orders.
A. attached to B. resistant to
C. responsible to D. contrary to
[答案] D. contrary to.
[正文] (be) contrary to与.......相同, 违背
1)作表语):What you wish to do is contrary to the regulations.
a. If you act contrary to the doctor"s advice, you won"t get well again.
b. Contrary to what I thought, he has proved to be successful.
3) 作定语：The boy was swimming in a direction contrary to the current. (这男孩朝着顺流方向游去。)
5. The shop-assistant was straight with his customers. If an article was of _____ quality, he"d tell them so.
A. minor B. humble C. inferior D. awkward
[答案] C. inferior
6. The continuous rain was _____ for the exceptional poor harvest
A. blamed B. condemned C. accused D. charged
[答案] A. blamed.
[正文] blame sb./sth. for ... 因.......抱怨、嗔怪 .......：He blames you for neglect of duty. (他嗔怪你玩忽职守。) condemn 谴责、判刑。Accuse sb. of控诉某人犯有.......。charge sb. with控诉某人犯有......。
7. The rocks are very big with _____ of colors on them.
A. bands B. marks C. rails D. shapes
[答案] A. bands.
[正文] band (颜色与其他局部不同的) 条纹。Mark痕迹, 斑点; 记号, 标志。本题是讲岩石上色调不同的“条纹”, 故用bands. rail (轨道) ,shape (外形) ,均不合题意。
8. There were no tickets _____ for Friday"s performance.
A. preferable B. possible C. considerable D. available
[答案] D. available.
[正文] available (=capable of being used; that may be obtained) 可利用的; 能够找到的：
1) These tickets are available for one month. (这些票的无效期一个月。)
2) Is there a doctor available? (有否能够找到大夫？)
3) A limited number of seats are still available. (依然还有大批座位。)
9. Despite all the evidence to the contrary, the witness _____ that his story was true.
A. stuck out B. stood out C. kept down D. held up
[答案] A. stuck out.
[正文]stick out 坚持
10. In a typhoon, winds _____ a speed greater than 120 kilometers per hour.
A. assume B. accomplish C. attain D. assemble
[答案] C. attain.
[正文] attain (=succeed in doing or getting) 达到 (目的等) ,获得 (成就等) :I hope you will attain your object, accomplish (顺利) 实现。assume假设, 假定, 承当。assemble集合; 拆卸。