1. _____ inviting guests and not treating them properly!
A. Strangely B. Fantastically
C. Surprisingly D. Fancy
[正文]fancy doing 没想到.......居然：
1)Fancy your him!(没想到你居然意识他！)
2)Fancy spending the day in here!(没想到竟在这里过了一天！)
2. With sufficient scientific information a manned trip to Mars should be _____.
A. obtainable B. potential C. considerable D. feasible
[正文]feasible(=that can be done)可行的，可做到的：
1)Your plan sounds quite feasible.(你的方案听起来很可行。)
2)It"s not feasible to make the trip in one day.(一天内要进行这次旅行是做不到的。)
3. The generation _____ makes it difficult for parents to understand their children"s opinions.
A. pision B. gap C. separation D. interval
[正文]generation gap 代沟。
pision分，划分；separation离开；interval距离，间隙；（幕间或工间）劳动。at intervals 不时，时时
4. If the boy had _____ the dog alone it wouldn"t have bitten him.
A. set B. left C. had D. put
[正文]leave sb./sth. alone不惹，不论，不碰：Leave the box alone.(别碰那个盒子。)
5. They were so far away that I couldn"t _____ their faces clearly.
A. see through B. make up C. see off D. make out
[答案]D. make out.
[正文]make out(=identify and see with effort or difficulty)识别出。
see through此处see through还可示意“看穿......(=understand the real meaning of or reason for; realize the falseness of)”：
1)The teacher saw through the boy"s story of having to help at home. (=The teacher knew his story was not true; it was just an excuse.)
2) He can"t fool her. She sees him through every time.
1)假造：John made up the joke about the talking dog.
2)补偿：Bob must make up the work he missed.
3)凑足： We need one more to make up the dozen.
4)化妆： The actors were making up when we arrived.
5)形成：Nine players make up a team.
6. Achieving a high degree of proficiency in English as a foreign language is not a mysterious _____ without scientific basis.
A. process B. practice C. procedure D. program
[正文]process(=connected series of actions, or series of operations) 进程：
By what process is cloth made form wool?(通过什么进程羊毛织成呢料？)
practice(=the doing of something of, performance or repeated exercise, etc.)实习，练习；停业:
She is doing her practice at the piano.(她在练习弹钢琴。)
procedure(=the regular order of doing things)顺序：
the usual procedure at a meeting(散会的通常顺序)。
Program(=plan of what is to be done or list of items or events)课程，方案，纲要：
What is the program for tomorrow ?(今天上什么课?)
7. I must go now. _____, if you want that book I"ll bring it next time.
A. Incidentally B. Accidentally
C. Occasionally D. Subsequently
[正文]incidentally(=by the way)附带地，顺便：
Fred said, incidentally, that he had no dinner.(顺便提一下，福来德那时说，他还没吃晚饭。)
I met with an old friend of mine accidentally last week.(上星期我偶尔碰到一位老冤家。)
occasionally (=from time to time, not regularly)不时地，偶然：
We get visitors here occasionally.(咱们偶然在此接游客。)
subsequently(=afterwards, later) 随后：
At first we thought we would go; but subsequently we learned we were needed at home.(后来,咱们想分开；但随后咱们得知家里需求咱们。)
8. A completely new situation is likely to _____ when the school leaving age is raised to 16.
A. arouse B. rise C. arise D. abide
[正文]arise(=come into being, appear, happen)产生，发作：Difficulties will arise as we do the work.(咱们做这项工作时将会发作艰难。)
arouse 唤起，激发，唤醒；rise 回升;abide (by)恪守。
9. The illness from which Mary is suffering has now been _____ as hepatitis (肝炎).
A. diagnosed B. determined C. deduced D. discovered
10. These continual _____ in temperature make it impossible to decide what to wear.
A. alterations B. vibrations C. waves D. fluctuations