1. Professor Jordon is well known for his _____ into the habits of the common housefly.
A. examination B. introduction
C. research D. expression
[正文]research into 对。..j进行钻研：
1)（作动词用）He is researching into the reading problems of young school children.
2)（作名词用）to carry out a research(=some research)into the causes of brain damage.(对大脑伤害缘由进行钻研)。
钻研可译为make researches into, make a study of 或间接用动词study vt或research into (a problem etc.).
2. The Prime Minister refused to comment on the rumor that he had planned to _____.
A. discharge B. dismiss C. resign D. resume
[正文]resign(=give up a post)辞职：
1)imagine he will resign.2)It was his duty to resign his position.
discharge sb.= dismiss sb.辞退某人：He was discharged(=dismissed) for being dishonest.
3. It was decided to _____ the search when there was no hope of finding the missing girl alive.
A. call off B. take up C. keep off D. ring up
[答案]A. call off
4. He put in a special _____ for an extra day"s holiday so that he could attend his daughter"s wedding.
A. request B. demand C. inquiry D. proposal
[正文]request申请，put in a request for (提出申请)。enquiry讯问，demand 需要，需求，proposal倡议，均和睦题意。
5. She _____ the temptation to buy a coat she could not afford.
A.challenged B.obstructed C.contradictedD.resisted
[正文]resist 此处意指（=keep oneself back from）“忍住……”，resist temptation(不受引诱)。
6. Scientists have to work hard to keep _____ with modern discoveries and developments.
A. company B. track C. touch D. pace
[正文]keep pace with跟上：
1)This horse is too weak to keep pace with the others.
2)I can"t help pace with your plan.
Keep in touch with与。.....放弃联络；理解（状况）；
1)People can keep in touch with each other even when they do leave.
2)I find it very difficult to keep in touch with all the recent developments in my subject.(我感觉很难理解我的科目以后的所有新倒退。)
Never keep company with dishonest persons.(千万不要和不老实的人交往。)
Keep track of 精通事态，理解意向：
I find it difficult to keep track of my old friends.(我很难理解我的老冤家的状况。)
keep track of的反义构造是lose track of（得到联络）。
7. He didn"t _____ what I read because his mind was on something else.
A. hold on B. catch on C. take in D. get over
[答案]C. take in
[正文]take in(=understand)了解。hold on(打电话时)不要挂断；catch on明确（作不迭物动词用），catch on to懂得，明确（作及物动词用）；get over克服。
8. We made plans for a visit but _____ difficulties with the car prevented it.
A. consequent B. subordinate
C. substantial D. subsequent
His long illness and consequent absence put him behind in his work.依据题意，本题用subsequent更妥。
9. Arrogance and pride are similar in meaning, but there is _____ difference between them.
A. a submerged B. an indecisive
C. an indistinct D. a subtle
[答案]D. a subtle.
[正文]subtle奇妙的，微细的，难以捉摸的。a subtle difference.（微细的差异）。Submerged浸没的；indecisive非决议性的，非论断性的，未分明表明的；indistinct不分明的，模糊的；subconscious下认识的。
10. This watch is _____ to all the other watches on the market.
A. superior B. advantageous C. super D. beneficial