1. His test results are not very _____. He does well one week and badly the next.
A. invariable B. consequent C. continuous D. consistent
1)始终如一，前后分歧：He is not consistent in his statements.(他的话并不前后分歧。)
2)与.....分歧：The story is not consistent with the facts. What you say is not consistent with what you do.
2. The new safety regulations were agreed on after _____ with the work-force.
A. conference B. participation
C. intervention D. consultation
hold a consultation with sb. about sth.（与某人商谈某事）。
3. The room was so quiet that she could hear the _____ of her heart.
A. hitting B. beating C. tapping D. knocking
[正文]beating 此处是动名词，指“（心）跳”：Her heart was beating furiously.
4. During World War II Malta managed to _____ most of Italian and German bombers by throwing up an effective anti-aircraft screen.
A. put out B. shut out C. come across D. get across
[答案]B. shut out.
[正文]shut out(=prevent from coming in; block)扫除，排挤：
They shut out our dust by having double windows.(他们用双层窗户防尘。)
put out点燃；get across越过；使人理解；come across偶尔遇到。
5. I think we should let Maria go camping with her boyfriend. _____, she"s a big girl now.
A. Above all B. After all C. First of all D. For all
[答案]B. After all.
“for all + 名词”意为“虽然”: For all his wealth, he was unhappy.(虽然他富裕，但他并可怜福。)
6. Jim"s close _____ to his brother made people mistake them for one another.
A. confusion B. similarity C. resemblanceD. imitation
[正文]resemblance n. 像（to）。 resemble(vt.)像；
She resembles her mother.(=She takes after her mother.)
7. It has been decided that this company has the _____ right to print Mr. Smith"s novels.
A.eventual B.versatile C.extensive D.exclusive
[正文]exclusive(=reserved to the person(s) concerned)独有的；
This bathroom is for the president"s exclusive use.
8. He has recently _____ chess to provide himself with some relaxation.
A. taken on B. taken up C. held on D. held up
[答案]B. taken up.
9. What a terrible experience! _____ , you are safe, that"s the main thing.
A. Somehow B. Anyhow C. Somewhat D. Anywhere
[正文]anyhow(at= any rate; in any case)无论如何，不论怎么。
10. John always tries to _____ people who are useful to him professionally.
A. develop B. provoke C. correspond D. cultivate
He always tries to cultivate rich and famous people.(他总是竭力结识有钱的知名人士。)