1. Though he did not say so directly, the inspector _____ the man was guilty.
A. declared B. implied C. disclosed D. said
[答案] B. implied.
[正文]imply 暗示，含有......的意思：Silence sometimes implies consent.(缄默有时暗示赞同。)
2. At first it seemed that the building would be all right but later it was found to need _____.
A. installations B. modifications
C. innovations D. illustrations
[答案] B. modifications.
[正文]modification 更改，修正；installation 装置，安装；设施；innovation反动；illustration阐明，例证，图解。按题意modifications最为离题。
3. We can only give you the _____ number of refugees crossing the border at the moment.
A. obscure B. approximate C. impartial D. imaginary
[答案] B. approximate.
4. Magnificent views over the countryside have often _____ people to write poems.
A. convinced B. inspired C. induced D. attracted
[答案] B. inspired.
1)His speech inspired us to try again.
2)He inspired confidence in me.(他使我产生决心。)
3)The good news inspired us with hope. (这个好音讯使咱们产生心愿。)
5. There are several landladies approved by the universities who take in _____.
A. lodgersB. residents C. inhabitants D. settlers
[答案] A. lodgers.
[正文]lodger客房；resident居民(对游客而言);local residents(外地居民),temporary residents(暂时居民)；
inhabitant(=person living in a place)居民：a small town of 5,000 inhabitants(有5,000居民的小镇)；
settler殖民者，移居者；White settlers in Kenya(在肯尼亚侨居的白人)；immigrant移民。
6. He is the rudest man I have ever met. Jane, his present secretary, is the only person who can _____ him.
A. respect B. stand C. support D. dislike
[答案] B. stand.
[正文]stand (=endure, bear, put up with)忍受，忍耐；
1)I can"t stand that woman.
2)He cannot stand criticism.
7. The main road through Littlebury was blocked for three hours today after an accident _____ two lorries.
A. containing B. connecting C. involving D. including
[答案] C. involving.
1)This problem involves us all. (这个成绩触及到咱们大家。)
2)His work involves occasional journeys. (他的工作使他不得不时常旅行。)
3) To accept the appointment would involve living in London. (承受这项任命将不得不住在伦敦。)
4)John was involved in the trouble. (约翰已堕入窘境。)
contain 蕴含，装有；connect 衔接，include 包括。
8. Jane read the article over ten minutes but continued to feel the event related were _____.
A. inheritable B.incredible C.infeasible D. inaccessible
[答案] B. incredible
[正文]incredible 难以相信的；inheritable可承继的；infeasible不切实际的; inaccessible不可抵达的(to)。
9. In some cities it is very difficult to have a telephone _____ , and people have to wait a long time before they can get a phone.
A. assembled B.installed C. equipped D. repaired
[答案] B. installed.
[正文]install 装置；assemble(=put together) 拆卸；equip配备；repaire修缮。
10. _____ up children properly is mainly their parents" duty.
A. Growing B. Rearing C. Bringing D. Raising
[答案] C. Bringing.
[正文]bring up 教育，教养，抚养大；
1)The child is badly brought up.
2) I was brought up to be honest.
grow up 生长，长大；倒退，构成；
1)I grew up on a farm. (我在农庄长大。)
2)The custom of going away for one"s holiday has grown up during the last thirty years. (外出度假的习俗习气是最近30年构成的。)
raise[美国英语]养大；Where was he raised? (他在哪里长大的？) raise还有“豢养”的含意。
[留意]rear 和raise后不能接up,故本题不能选用rearing 或 raising.